Overall, plumbers probably get more calls to open clogged drains than any other service.
Assuming the drainage lines were piped properly, tubs and showers usually have hair as the main cause of their stoppages. Physical removal of hair is best. The regular use of a safe enzyme based drain cleaner product such as BioClean can help prevent slow drains and stoppages. You can buy BioClean from us by calling 1-866-TIGER70 any time!
The most often clogged drain is the kitchen sink. Kitchen sink stoppages are usually caused by liquid fats, emulsified by warm soapy dishwater and then carried through the drainpipes. As the water cools, it proceeds down the drain and leaves the fatty deposits along the piping. A film of grease forms on the pipe wall and so on. Coffee grounds, egg shells, etc add to this accumulation layer until the pipe becomes impassible.
We recommend that you pour excess grease into a tin can, not down the sink drain. When using a garbage disposal, always let sufficient cold water run to carry the particles down and into the main line to prevent buildup in the smaller waste lines.
The Plunger… A Plumber’s Best Friend
In the event of a total stoppage, you should have a plunger (with a large rubber suction cup and a wooden handle). Cup it tightly over the drain and plunge it vigorously several times. It is best to try to use the suction cycle rather than the pressure cycle of the plunger. What we mean is that one “should” push slowly, make sure the plunger is sealed to the drain and then pull quickly on the plunger. This tends to loosen rather than pack down the stoppage. If it is a double drain sink, make sure you seal the other drain so water will not splash out into the other bowl or on you. Drain piping can also be cleaned by removing the J-bend on the trap below the fixture.
Call Tiger at 1-866-TIGER70 or visit TrustTiger.com and let us take a look at your plumbing to make sure none of these clogs will be causing a problem for you anytime soon!
Don’t Get Burned!
An Anti-Scald Device Will Protect Your Family
In homes where there is a high demand for hot water, homeowners often turn up the temperature on their hot water heaters to meet this need, sometimes well beyond the 120 degree Fahrenheit factory setting considered safe. Temperatures higher than this can cause severe scalding. At highest risk are children and elderly or disabled persons.
In such situations, installing an anti-scald device is an affordable way to protect against this risk. Call us today at 1-866-TIGER70 to learn more about protecting your family.
- Hot water scalds account for 20% of all burns
- More than 2,000 American children are treated for scalds each year
- Scalding accidents occur most frequently in the bathrooms and kitchens where they are most preventable
- Scalding leads to additional injuries such as heart attacks, shock, falls, and serious broken bones, particularly among the elderly
- Scalding and other burns require the most expensive treatments: long hospital stays, costly skin grafts, and plastic surgery
- Most U.S. states now mandate some form of anti-scald measures in building codes
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), drinking water, including bottled water, may reasonably be expected to contain at least small amounts of some contaminants. The presence of contaminants does not necessarily indicate that water poses a health risk. EPA sets standards for approximately 90 contaminants and indicators in drinking water. The presence of indicators at a level outside of specified limits may reflect a problem in the treatment process or in the integrity of the distribution system.
You and your family can enjoy purer, better tasting water with water filtration systems that stay out of sight and require little maintenance. For pennies a day, these systems remove undesirable chemicals which may be present in the water supply, along with lead, sediment, chlorine and sources of other tastes and odors.
Options range from whole-house filtration systems to those which reside under your kitchen sink and are tapped at a separate faucet. If water quality, effectiveness and convenience are things you’re concerned about, a built-in filtration system may be right for you. Call us today at 1-866-TIGER70 to learn more about protecting your family’s water.
Periodic cleaning of your dryer vent helps eliminate this risk to your home and family.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, these clothes dryer fires result in 20 deaths, 370 injuries and over $75 million in property damage each year. The main culprit? Dryer lint.
The steady, silent accumulation of fabric particles that get beyond your lint screen will not only decrease your dryer’s performance, it creates a fire hazard. Cleaning your lint trap after every load will slow this process, but cannot prevent it. As your vent gradually becomes caked with lint, your dryer’s airflow decreases. This not only prevents your dryer from drying as it should, it can cause it to overheat and ignite the highly flammable lint.
Tiger Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning Services has invested in the proper tools to clean your dryer vent quickly and without the mess.
If you haven’t cleaned or checked your vent in the last four years, you should do it now. Call us today 1-866-TIGER70 so we can come out and make sure your home is not at risk, or visit www.TrustTiger.com for more information.
With all of the snow and freezing temperatures we experienced during this brutal winter, we never thought Spring would arrive….but here it is! It is almost time to turn on your air conditioner for the first time this year, and we want to help you make sure yours is in top working condition. Call Tiger today to schedule your air conditioner clean and check!
What goes into an air conditioner tune up?
When you schedule a tune up, also called a clean and check, with Tiger, we’ll send one of our technicians to your home to get your unit ready for the warmer weather. During the clean and check, we will inspect your entire cooling system and make note of any problems that are affecting its safety, efficiency or performance.
Along with an inspection, we’ll perform all of the necessary maintenance tasks (such as a thorough system cleaning) required to bring your system up to its peak performance.
What are the benefits of getting an annual tune up during springtime?
- Reduces the risk of breakdowns this Summer. There’s no good time for your air conditioner to break down, but you’ll probably agree that it can’t happen at a worse time than in the sweltering middle of Summer. By getting a tune up during spring, you’ll have plenty of time to fix any problems with your air conditioner that might have led to a breakdown a few months down the line.
- Cuts down on your energy bills. A tune up will bring your air conditioner up to its peak operating efficiency, which will cut down on its operating costs. The earlier in the year that you get your tune up, the longer you’ll be able to take advantage of this benefit.
- Takes care of small problems before they become big problems. Small problems with your HVAC system rarely stay small for long. Instead, the typically get worse the longer they are ignored. Spring is a great time to take care of problems with your air conditioner because you’re not yet using it every day and you can catch small problems before they develop into expensive repairs in the months to come.
- Extends the life of your air conditioner. You wouldn’t go years without changing the oil in your car, so why would you skip out on annual maintenance for your air conditioner? By getting an annual tune up, you can keep your air conditioner healthy and greatly extend its operating life.
If you have any questions about an air conditioner clean and check, call Tiger today! We hope to see you soon!