Home Service Blog Articles by Tiger®

Your Home’s Silent Killer: Carbon Monoxide

Published: February 26, 2021
carbon monoxide detector

You can’t see it. You can’t smell it. You can’t touch it. Carbon monoxide (CO) is called a ‘silent killer’ because the highly poisonous gas is odorless and colorless. It mixes with air and if breathed in can cause serious health issues or even death.

The most common cause of a carbon monoxide outbreak in homes is an older furnace or appliance that is not burning its fuel properly.

Be aware of the common sources of carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel (like natural gas) is not fully burned. This happens as a result of an equipment malfunction or can be due to a lack of proper ventilation.  Common sources of carbon monoxide include:

  • cracked or damaged furnace heat exchanger
  • an idling vehicle in an attached garage
  • chimneys or fuel-burning appliances that need to be cleaned or repaired
  • garages or shops with improperly vented equipment
  • barbecuing indoors or in a space with poor ventilation (like a garage or shed)

Recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Exposure to carbon monoxide can be fatal. Properly installed carbon monoxide detectors can alert you of possible exposure, but be on the lookout for the following symptoms:

  • headache
  • muscle weakness
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • shortness of breath
  • confusion
  • blurred vision
  • loss of consciousness

If you experience any of these symptoms, get to fresh air right away,  seek medical attention, and then contact your preferred home services company to locate the cause.

carbon monoxide safety

Stop the silent killer

You can help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning through the following:

  • Have a professional inspect your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances annually.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector near all sleeping areas or on each level of your home.
  • Properly maintain your carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Never use outdoor fuel-burning equipment (generators, patio heaters, barbecues) inside your home or garage.

If your alarm sounds and someone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, move outside immediately and call 911. If the alarm sounds, but no one is experiencing any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, shut off your gas appliances, ventilate your home, and contact your home services company.

 

If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home or would like us to review possible safety concerns, give us a call or schedule service online. Our qualified service technicians will determine its source and can provide you with possible solutions.

 

Tiger Services Carbon Monoxide Safety

(618) 765-8218 | TrustTiger.com

You Can Trust Tiger
True professionals
"Brian did an amazing job for us. A true professional!"
- Rob B.
Personable and efficient
"Mark was personable and efficient. I like the pictures he took for an explanation of problems especially since I couldn't get to the area that had the problem."
- Mike H.
We definitely recommend Tiger!
"My families a/c went out randomly today. I went around the house troubleshooting what I could. It got to the point where we had to call someone. We called the first places that showed up on google. Most places either wanted tons of money just for diagnostics, or couldn’t come out today. We called Tiger they went over the cost and they got someone out to our house in 45 minutes. Josh Moravec was our tech and was super professional, kind and intelligent. He was here for about 15 minutes before he figured out our issue. He went over in depth the cost and verified everything was good before getting started to resolve it. There was no pressure to buy the service if we didn’t want to. He went back down and in 15 minutes the a/c was running strong! He asked if we had any questions and then was on his way! He was great with our kids, very polite and courteous of me and my wife. He answered all our questions, and the price was more than reasonable. We definitely recommend Tiger, and make sure you ask for Josh Moravec if you can!"
- James L.
Prompt and ready to help
"Mark came within 24 hours and was prompt and ready to help. He fixed our problem in no time at all! I will be calling them again!"
- Monica J.
Professional electrical service
"We appreciate that Tiger was able to accommodate our appointment request the next day which was a Sunday. Tyler was on time and provided very professional service regarding our electrical issues we had."
- Anne N.
Professional, knowledgable and polite
"Service man was very professional, knowledgeable, and polite. Work was organized and every step taken was toward accomplishment of goal. System was repaired and returned to service promptly. I felt confident in the serviceman's performance and that my AC will work properly...satisfied customer."
- Walter B.
    See how fast we can get to you!

    Financing
    Options

    Today's
    Offers
    Join Our
    Winning Team

    Here’s a Little More About Our Heating Services