7 Tips for Preventing Plumbing FailuresPublished: June 14, 2019
Your home’s plumbing is mostly hidden from view so it’s easy to forget about. That is, until something goes wrong. Here are some ways to prevent plumbing issues from becoming disasters.
1. Do a regular visual inspection of your home’s plumbingThis might seem obvious but in the chaos of everyday life, it’s easy to push it down the priorities list. Run water in each sink to see how quickly it drains and if there are any changes. Pay attention to the length of time you can run a hot shower before the water gets too cold. Look in the cabinets under sinks for evidence of leakage.
2. Keep Drains Clear with regular drain clean-out sessionsUse natural methods like pouring boiling water down the drain to avoid having to resort to harsh, toxic chemicals that can erode metal pipes over time. Do this when flow is smooth to attack any small deposits before they build up Use a drain cleaner as soon as flow begins to slow to reduce the number of sessions you need.
3. Repair faucet leaks as soon as they start or even beforeSometimes you can tell a faucet is starting to give trouble if you have to squeeze tighter or fiddle with it to shut off the water completely. Don’t wait until you have a continuous drip to repair. Replace cartridges, washers, or gaskets depending on the source of the leak or the type of faucet.
4. Ensure you never put the wrong things down the drainFat solidifies when it cools so avoid anything containing grease. Use strainers to catch hair in the bathroom or food in the kitchen sink. Discard and clear the strainer often to keep it clear and to prevent anything from slipping past.
5. Carry out water heater maintenanceDrain your heater’s tank to stir up and clear sediment that reduces tank efficiency and shortens equipment life expectancy. How often you do this depends on water conditions. Start every other month and if water runs clear immediately, stretch out frequency until you notice debris every time you drain the tank.
6. If you live in an area with hard water, consider installing a water softener“Hard water” contains minerals that destroy your plumbing system over time by depositing sediments throughout piping, fittings, fixtures and equipment like your water heater. Most municipalities publish information on the water hardness. Consult a contractor to confirm the benefits of water softening for your home.
7. Call a professional
If you have any plumbing needs, schedule service online, or simply call us at:
More From Tiger
You Can Trust Tiger
"Brian did an amazing job for us. A true professional!"
- Rob B.
Personable and efficient
"Mark was personable and efficient. I like the pictures he took for an explanation of problems especially since I couldn't get to the area that had the problem."
- Mike H.
We definitely recommend Tiger!
"My families a/c went out randomly today. I went around the house troubleshooting what I could. It got to the point where we had to call someone. We called the first places that showed up on google. Most places either wanted tons of money just for diagnostics, or couldn’t come out today. We called Tiger they went over the cost and they got someone out to our house in 45 minutes. Josh Moravec was our tech and was super professional, kind and intelligent. He was here for about 15 minutes before he figured out our issue. He went over in depth the cost and verified everything was good before getting started to resolve it. There was no pressure to buy the service if we didn’t want to. He went back down and in 15 minutes the a/c was running strong! He asked if we had any questions and then was on his way! He was great with our kids, very polite and courteous of me and my wife. He answered all our questions, and the price was more than reasonable. We definitely recommend Tiger, and make sure you ask for Josh Moravec if you can!"
- James L.
Prompt and ready to help
"Mark came within 24 hours and was prompt and ready to help. He fixed our problem in no time at all! I will be calling them again!"
- Monica J.
Professional electrical service
"We appreciate that Tiger was able to accommodate our appointment request the next day which was a Sunday. Tyler was on time and provided very professional service regarding our electrical issues we had."
- Anne N.
Professional, knowledgable and polite
"Service man was very professional, knowledgeable, and polite. Work was organized and every step taken was toward accomplishment of goal. System was repaired and returned to service promptly. I felt confident in the serviceman's performance and that my AC will work properly...satisfied customer."
- Walter B.