A leaking Air Conditioning Unit poses several concerns and is a major sign that something is wrong with your system. Leaking AC units can cause water damage and even a fire if it gets near electrical equipment.
So why do leaks happen in an Air Conditioning Unit anyway?
Here are some possible reasons:
-Frozen evaporator coils
If the evaporator coils form ice on them, this build-up can melt and overflow from your drain pan.
There are three main causes of a frozen coil:
1. Dirty filter: If your filter becomes dirty, it will slow the airflow through the coil, causing it to get too cold and possibly form ice on the surface. An easy way to avoid this outcome is to replace your filter as recommended by the manufacturer.
2. Low pressure in the refrigerant lines: If there is not enough refrigerant in your unit, the pressure will lower. This will reduce the coil’s ability to remove heat from the air, which causes the coil to freeze. Low refrigerant levels can cause some serious damage to your compressor so you will need to turn off your Air Conditioning Unit and call us immediately!
3. Issues with the fan: If you notice low airflow coming through your vents in addition to the frozen coil, issues with your fan are likely the cause. Shut off your Air Conditioning Unit right away and call us to correct the problem.
Air Conditioning Units do more than simply keep the air in your home cool. They also help remove the humidity as well. This is done by removing condensation. If condensation is building up and overflowing, you might have condensate drainage problems. Here are three possible reasons why:
1. A blockage in the condensate drain: a blockage will cause a backup. Clear the drain if you can or call us to clean the line for you.
2. A damaged drain pan: your drain pan might be cracked and leaking condensation. It is often best to replace a damaged drain pan, to avoid future issues.
3. A broken condensation pump: depending on where your Air Conditioning Unit is located, you might have a pump that removes the condensation. If this pump becomes broken, water can build up and overflow. Which means you will need to replace the pump.