Have You Thought About Going Green this St. Patrick’s Day?Published: March 17, 2016
If you’re like a lot of people, you will be spending St. Patrick’s Day decked out head to toe in your favorite green apparel and enjoying some green treats. Since St. Patrick’s Day is the day of all things green, it might be a great time to take the green theme a little further and go “green” in your home.
A green home is a home that saves money and the environment and going green is a lot easier than you might think. You don’t have to go green all at once, taking baby steps is just fine. But the good news is that with every step you take in the green direction, you’ll save more and more money. Which is the kind of green everyone loves!
Check out these suggestions to help you live a more green life.
1. Go paperless in the kitchen. Think of all of the money you’re wasting every day on paper products in the kitchen? Replacing paper towels and napkins with cloth alternatives can save you a lot of money on your yearly grocery bill. Plus, you can find cloth towels and napkins in fun colors and designs to liven up your kitchen.
2. Brighten up your space. Did you know by simply switching your incandescent light bulbs for CFL bulbs, you can save between $180 to $300 a year on your energy bill?
3. Take control. A programmable thermostat can save as much as 10% a year on your heating and cooling bills by simply turning your thermostat back 10% to 15% for 8 hours. You can do this automatically without sacrificing comfort by installing an automatic setback or programmable thermostat.
4. Upgrade your shower head. A low-flow shower head can save 50 gallons of water during a 10-minute shower and most models have a shut-off valve that will save even more water by stopping the water while you lather up.
5. Switch to vinegar. By swapping out your expensive, chemically riddled cleaning products with vinegar you will save you money and it’s a healthy alternative. Vinegar is an effective cleaner that kills mold, bacteria and germs. Plus it leaves surfaces shining!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
P.S. Be one the lookout for part two on Earth Day!
If you have any plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical needs, simply call us at: