5 Benefits of Installing a Water Softener in Your Metro East HomePublished: February 19, 2014
Did you know that an estimated 85 percent of homes in the United States have hard water? In fact, many homeowners in the St. Louis Metro East area might experience problems associated with hard water without even knowing the cause. In order to help you figure out if a water softener is right for you, today we’re going to talk about five great benefits of installing a water softener in your home!
5 benefits of installing a water softener in your home
- Improve the efficiency of your water heater. If you have hard water in your home, the minerals in your water will build up as sediment on the bottom of your water heater’s tank. This puts a barrier in between the heating elements of your water heater and the water itself. As a result, your water heater will have to work much harder and consume more energy to heat up your home’s water. A water softener will remove those minerals and drastically improve your water heater’s efficiency while decreasing the amount of times you have to flush your tank.
- Prolong the life of your plumbing system. Your water heater isn’t the only part of your plumbing system that’s affected by hard water. Hardness minerals can build inside of your pipes and lead to clogging, and those same minerals can damage your water-using appliances like your dishwasher and washing machine. Installing a water softener is a great way to keep your plumbing system healthy and prolong the life of your appliances.
- Eliminate limescale. Have you ever noticed a crusty white buildup around your sinks and faucets? This is known as limescale, and it’s a result of hard water. A water softener will get rid of limescale, which will make your home and its fixtures much more attractive.
- Use less soaps and detergents. Hard water doesn’t lather well with soaps and detergents, so you have to use more of those products when you’re showering, washing dishes and doing laundry. This can add up to a lot of extra expenses over time, which can be avoided by installing a water softener.
- Better for your clothes, dishes and body. A water softener will help keep your clothes’ colors bright, your dishes spotless and streak-free and your skin and hair looking great and feeling smooth. That’s because, as we mentioned above, soaps and detergents are much more effective when used with soft water.
If you have any questions about the benefits of a water softener, or if you’d like a plumbing system serviced or installed in your home, contact Tiger, your Metro East plumbing, heating and air conditioning contractor.